The Heart of It

This past Sunday there was no post. Why? I was "under the weather". We actually had great weather, but I could not experience it due to a bug that has me dizzy, nauseated and having body aches. I went to the urgent care center to identify the source of my illness. Unfortunately, I was sent home with a drug for only one of my symptoms. No cure. No answers as far as cause, just medicine to prevent one of my symptoms. I took the antivert for my dizziness and found that I could not fully awake the next morning. Anyone who knows me even a little knows that I am an early bird. I get up before my family to put God first so He can order my day. But, I could not even bring myself to open my eyes or move my body. I later (after waking up fully) realized that the medication has a side effect - drowsiness, as they say. It's more like semi-coma-ness for me. So the answer to my problem only gave me another problem or did it?

This is how life is when we are not fully committed to the One who gives us purpose. We are all sick and in need of the Great Physician's care (see the Dialysis Gospel blogpost). When we come to him, we expect a cure not a band-aid. What I have come too realize however, is that like any GOOD doctor does not look at what we look at. He searches for the source of the ailment. We are usually diagnosed with something that was preventable, not sick from what we think. Usually, it is what is inside that affects the outside. Jesus spoke of this in Matthew 15.

10 And he called the multitude, and said unto them, Hear, and understand: 11 kNot that which goeth into the mouth defileth a man; but that which cometh out of the mouth, this defileth a man. 12 Then came his disciples, and said unto him, Knowest thou that the Pharisees were offended, after they heard this saying? 13 But he answered and said,lEvery plant, which my heavenly Father hath not planted, shall be rooted up. 14 Let them alone: mthey be blind leaders of the blind. And nif the blind lead the blind, both shall fall into the ditch. 15 Then answered oPeter and said unto him, Declare unto us this parable. 16 And Jesus said, Are ye also yet without understanding? 17 pDo not ye yet understand, thatqwhatsoever entereth in at the mouth goeth into the belly, and is cast out into the draught? 18 But rthose things which proceed out of the mouth come forth from the heart; and they defile sthe man. 19 For tout of the heart proceed uevil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies: 20 These are the things which defile a man: but to eat xwith unwashen hands defileth not a man.

Our hearts are defiled. This is the root of sickness and sin. That attitude, that unforgiveness, those lies...these are symptoms that point to the heart.

So by putting me on a medication to treat one of my symptoms, its side effect resolved my need for rest (because it put me to sleep). Sleep increases the function of the immune system thereby helping my body to fight against infections that can cause symptoms like dizziness, nausea and body aches. Sometimes, I get too busy and stressed and the Lord uses illness (among other things) to get my attention and to keep me centered on what is most important.

Has God ever answered your question with a question? I know what the answer will always be - "For my Glory". Why is my husband like that? - To test you, for my glory. How come I cannot overcome this issue? - For a testimony, for my glory. Why won't you heal me? - So you can comfort others, for my glory.

It is for your glory alone Lord that I live my life. As I lay here and rest in your loving care, I will trust you with all my heart <3







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Becoming a Mother

Building marriages with Date Night In Box!

Kick the devil out of your Marriage