Rebekah's Heart Problems
Rebekah was a hard working girl. She had her priorities in order and was doing what she was supposed to be doing. While drawing water from the well she showed a stranger generosity and hospitality. Little did she know that her act of kindness would be a blessing in her life and that she would be married in the next few days!
When we focus on the path that God has given us at the moment, we open doors of opportunity for blessings to come and overtake our lives.
Rebekah was not afraid to take a chance on God. When God speaks we should obey immediately. When we are in right position then we can move quickly in obedience to God's will for our lives.
Unfortunately, like most of us, Rebecca did not stay in right position all of her life. Her heart began to sway towards one of her sons in particular. Her focus changes. The Bible says that our hearts are deceitfully wicked. Rebecca allowed her affections for one of her sons to distract her and caused her to be deceptive. She used her blessings as manipulation to feed her own desires. She caused her older son Esau to hate his brother Jacob, who she loved best.
Sometimes the repercussions of our actions against God's will are so severe that we struggle with the results for the rest of our lives. Small things can make a big difference!
This is what I learned from Rebekah's life:
1. Work hard. We serve God, not man.
2. Attitude is everything. It may be one step away or towards the next blessing in your life.
3. Be ready to move into whatever position the Lord has prepared for you. Walk by faith.
4. Guard your heart! Examine your affections. Are you placing anyone or anything in God's place in your heart?
5. Stop to reflect on the results of your actions. Is what you are about to do going to bring glory to God?
I'm so glad that God shows us characters in the Bible with their flaws and all. None of us are perfect and even though we start out on the right path we can easily be turned out of the way. Let's be determined to trust God with our whole heart and lean not to your own understanding.
* See my vlog on this topic at Wifestyle Image Network on Youtube. *